Erika Giovanna Klien is the main representative of the art movement of kinetism, which, fed by cubist, futuristic and constructivist stylistic elements, focuses on the representation of movement and dynamics. In the courses with Franz Cizek, Erika Giovanna Klien gets to know trigonometry as a means of artistic creation. From then on, she varies different shapes of triangles, rectangles and circles that were put together with a circular stroke, in order to merge her motifs, taken out of nature and technology, with the dimensions of space, time and movement.
Willing to break new ground, she emigrated to the USA in 1929, where she lived a wearing life in the following decades. In order to keep herself financially afloat, she teaches at several art schools at the same time, yet manages to further develop kinetism in her linocuts and panel paintings, as is impressively demonstrated in the works “Subway New York – Electric lights” or “Racing Lights” and the linocuts.
Despite successful exhibition activities and artistic commitment, she does not make her breakthrough as a freelance artist.
Born 1900 in Borgo/Valsugana, TR.
1919-24 Attendance of the School of Applied Arts in Vienna, training as an art pedagogue with Franz Cizek.
1922-23 acting lessons and activity as a lay actress.
1925 own studio in Purkersdorf, activity as a commercial graphic designer and designer of toys.
1929 Emigration to New York, teaching at various schools, (including Spence School, Dalton School and Stuyvesant School, New School for Social Research).
Publication of theoretical writings on art education
Dies in New York in 1957.
1924 Theatertechnikschau Vienna, International Art Exhibition at the Vienna Secession; 1925 Arts and Crafts Exhibition in Paris;
1926 International Exhibition of Modern Art at the Austrian Museum of Art and Industry in Vienna;
1926-27 International Exhibition of Modern Art in New York;
1929 Exhibition for the 60th Anniversary of the School of Applied Arts in Vienna, New York Art Center;
1930 New School for Social Research, New York;
1976 Galerie nächst St. Stephan, Vienna.